RUBY ON RAILS PROGRAMMING COURSE
What is Rails Framework?
Rails framework is developed using Ruby programming language. It is a web application framework built around model-view-controller design paradigm, providing structure for database programming, web services and web page layout. JSON and XML are typically used for data handling while HTML, CSS and JS are used for layout and presentation.
Rails framework is based on two principles:
- Don’t Repeat Yourself
Convention over Configuration
Rails facilitate web application development by making pre-assumption on programmers needs. Rails framework makes developer do task in the most efficient way. You might perform a task in different ways in other programming languages however, rails insists you in applying the best technique to do it. Moreover, if a developer follows a particular convention the framework behaves as expected. For instance, if a developer creates a “Purchase” Model, the framework automatically names a “Purchase” table in the database. The only necessity to write configuration files arise is when a programmer deviates from the convention that framework follows. So in many ways, software application development using Rails framework is a fun for programmers.
Some of the famous application developed on Rails Framework are: Twitter(a social networking site), BaseCamp, GitHub and Shopify(e-commerce app).
Ruby on Rails can examine two separate areas:
- The concepts such as design patterns, general attitude principles like DRY and CoC or even agility etc fall under the general concepts. They are the principles behind many designs in Rails. Any of these concepts can be studied independently of Rails as they are general programming concepts. Having prior knowledge about these concepts is good before jumping deeper into it.
- The Rails implements these concepts into its corpus. Rails heavily exploits feature of its mother language so it is crucial to understand Ruby’s peculiarities such as Mixin and Plenty. Furthermore, the last thing to understand is how Rail uses these features which are how it is broken down into classes and modules, how many of its features are dynamically created on the run and so on.
Ruby on Rails is further separated into various packages; Active Record, Active Resource, Action Pack, Active Support and Action Mailer. In the updated version (2.0) of the Ruby on Rail package, is has now included Active Resource replacing Action Web Surfer Package. Moreover, apart from standard packages, developer can make plugins to extend existing packages. Unlike the earlier Rails, version 3.2 deprecates these in favor of standard Ruby “gems”.
WHY RUBY ON RAILS?
The question “Why Ruby on Rails?” may sprout in many when we have many other programming languages available. But yes, we do have some very impeccable answers prepared for those who questions.
Usually, low level programming languages are closer to machine details and are quite difficult to remember. Unlike such low level languages, Ruby is considered a higher level programming than C++ and uses naturally spoken languages which are comparatively easy to remember.
If you want to go and learn the mainstream programming languages for developing for Drupal, Joomla, Magento and WordPress than PHP is what you need. But if you want to be in the race for longer time and want to progress with the web than going with Ruby on Rails is an absolute option. But learning PHP pefore learing RoR will benefit you.
Despite the fact that Ruby on Rails is a new framework compared to other languages, RoR has been able to extend its community. The ROR community is full of nice people who are willing to lend their help to help you in learning better.
Building website with complex scenario has been to perfect place to use Ruby on Rails. If your desire is to add simple functionalities to a basic straightforward website then PHP will do it work. But if you are building a complex app or website involving data base than there is no language other than ROB which will do the job better.
- Know how to install and configure Ruby, Rails, and any associated packages
- Understand the Rails request cycle
- Explore the Model-View- Controller architecture for server-side applications
- Learn to program the major components of Rails, including Active Record, Action Controller, and Action View
- Learn Ruby fundamentals
- Build data-driven applications with Rails
- Perform test-driven development of Rails applications
WHO CAN JOIN RUBY ON RAILS PROGRAMMING COURSE?
- College graduates who want to develop a career in web application
- Those who what to learn relevantly something new in the programming sphere
- Candidate having some prior knowledge about PHP or any programming language
MODULE 1: PROGRAMMING WITH RUBY ON RAILS
- Interacting with Ruby shell (iRb)
- Working with user input
- Use of Variables, strings and numbers
- Running programs from a file
- Comparisons and control flow
- Booleans and nil Collections of Arrays and hashes, symbols, enumerators
- Calling and defining methods
- Working with blocks and reading, writing files
- Objects orients programming the Ruby way; Objects, Classes, module mixins and information hiding through private methods
- Blocks, procs and lambdas
- Metablogging and debugging
- The Model-View-Controller (MVC) pattern
- The Ruby on Rails framework
- Bundler, RubyGems
- Git distributed version control system and Running Rials app locally
- CRUD, Rails scaffolding and Creating your first Rails app
- Beyond scaffolding it helps in Building user interfaces with templates, SCSS, CoffeeScript, and Bootstrap
- Supporting mobile devices with responsive design and Working with user-generated content, including rich text and images
- Calling RESTful web services and parsing JSON and Creating your own RESTful web service
- Displaying content from Twitter and Posting to Facebook and Twitter
- Debugging apps with Pry, Handling exceptions, Best practices in Rails and Testing applications
- Test-driven development and Refactoring